In Episode 83, Michael & Dan chat with J.B. Mayo, Jr. of the University of Minnesota to discuss his extensive work in LGBT and Queer Studies – specifically his work on GSAs (Gay-Straight Alliances/Genders & Sexualities Alliances) and his recent work published in NCSS’s Social Education on LGBTQ media and its potential impact on youth.
Books, articles, lessons, and other amazing resources
- Check out NCSS’s October 2017 – Special Section: LGBTQ+ Issues in Social Education.
- Mayo, J.B. (2017). LGBTQ media images and their potential impact on youth in schools. [Special section, LGBTQ+ issues in social education]. Social Education, 81(5), 303-307.
- Mayo, J.B. (2016). Adults’ complicity in limiting students’ understanding of sex, gender, and sexuality at school. Sex Education: Sexuality, Society and Learning, 16(1), 105-110. doi: 10.1080/14681811.2015.1094944
- Mayo, J.B. (2013). Expanding the meaning of social education: What the social studies can learn from Gay Straight Alliances. Theory & Research in Social Education, 41(3), 352-381. Doi: 10.1080/00933104.2013.815489
- Mayo, J.B. & Sheppard, M.G. (2012). New social learning from Two Spirit Native Americans. The Journal of Social Studies Research, 36(3), 263-282.
- Organizations to check out for resources
Gay Lesbian and Straight Education Network
- Suggested Visions of Ed episodes to explore
- Criminal podcast episode on the Lavender Scare
J.B Mayo, Jr is an Associate Professor in social studies education at the University of Minnesota, with a Ph.D. in curriculum and instruction from the University of South Florida, where his focus of study was gender and sexuality within the social studies, specifically on the formation and impact of Genders & Sexualities Alliances (GSAs) in secondary schools and the challenges faced by LGBQ teachers in Florida’s secondary classrooms. He is a former middle school social studies teacher of seven years in two Virginia public school districts. Check out his page at the University of Minnesota and his ResearchGate Page! To get in touch with him – you can email him!
One thought on “Episode 83: LGBTQ Topics in Education with J.B. Mayo, Jr”