In episode 21, Dan and Michael talk with Kathryn Engebretson about gender and education.
Books, articles, lessons, and other amazing resources
- The first chapter of Dana Goldstein’s 2014 book The Teacher Wars details the views of Horace Mann and Catharine Beecher on gender in the early common schools movement.
- “The Declaration of Sentiments” (1848)
- Here is a good, short article that defines terminology along the gender spectrum: Kilman, C. (2013). The gender spectrum. Teaching Tolerance (44). Retrieved from http://www.tolerance.org/gender-spectrum
- Wikipedia page on the Bechdel Test for movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_test
- Engebretson, K. E. (2014). Another Missed Opportunity: Gender in the National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies. Social Studies Research and Practice, 9(3), 21-34.
Kathryn Engebretson is an assistant professor of Curriculum and Instruction at Indiana University Bloomington. You can learn more about her work on her university page and you can tweet at her @engebretsonk.