In episode 37, Dan and Michael chat with Dr. Max Klau about leadership development and the importance of creating dedicated spaces for reflection.
Books, articles, lessons, and other amazing resources
- Max left some book recommendations!
- If you’re interested in learning more about Adaptive Leadership, check out Leadership Without East Answers by Ronald Heifetz.
- If you’re interested in learning more about leadership in living systems, check out Leadership and the New Science by Margaret Wheatley.
- If you’re interested in Joseph Campbell and the Hero’s Journey, check out his book The Hero With A Thousand Faces.
- Throughout the episode, we discussed City Year! City Year is an AmeriCorps program where 17 – 24 year olds spend a year in service working in schools around the country. Michael did two years of service as an AmeriCorps Member in Cleveland and became a staff member in Rhode Island. Check out their website for more information.
- If you’re interested in City Year’s approach to leadership development, click here.
If you’d like to learn more about the New Politics Leadership Academy, click here.
To learn more about the New Politics Leadership Academy Answering the Call program, click here.
- As our ideas for podcast episodes often stem from previous episodes, check out the two that inspired this one.
Max Klau received his doctorate from the Harvard School of Education and now the Chief Program Officer at New Politics Leadership Academy, a nonprofit ‘dedicated to creating opportunities for service veterans to engage in policy and politics.’ Before that he was the Vice President of Leadership Development, Inc (where Michael met him!!). Check out some of his writing at the Huffington Post!