In episode 39, Dan and Michael chat with Amber Briggle and Genevieve Mayet about supporting transgender students.
Books, articles, lessons, and other amazing resources
- Above is Amber Briggle speaking at a TEDx event about her son MG.
- Equality Texas works to ensure equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Texans through political action, education, community organizing, and collaboration.
- Trans-Cendence International is an organization that Genevieve Mayet spoke of that highlights discussion among people who are transgender and allies.
- Check out Genevieve on Facebook and YouTube at “GregariousGen: A Safe Place to get Answers and More”
- You can read about the Briggle family hosting the Texas Attorney General HERE. and their visit to the White House HERE.
- Anna Leach’s 2016 article, ‘It’s all about democracy’: inside gender neutral schools in Sweden, offers ideas about approaching gender in schools: http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2016/feb/02/swedish-schools-gender-alien-concept
- Carrie Kilman’s 2013 article, “The gender spectrum” from Teaching Tolerance (44) provides a nice overview of terminology discussed in the podcast. You can access it here: http://www.tolerance.org/gender-spectrum;
- Also, Sam Killermann’s “The genderbread person, v. 3.3.”also reviews terminology and can be found here: http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Breaking-through-the-Binary-by-Sam-Killermann.pdf;
- Teaching Tolerance also address “Six Myths about Trasgender Identity” in their article found here: http://www.tolerance.org/blog/dispelling-six-myths-about-transgender-identity
- Finally, let’s start and finish with a TED Talk. Batya Greenwald’s “What kindergarteners taught me about gender” is a good watch:
Genevieve Mayet is pursuing a graduate education degree and has a background in science. You can tweet her @GregariouGen.