In episode 184, Dan and Michael chat with Lightning Jay about his study published in Theory & Research in Social Education, “The disciplinary and critical divide in social studies teacher education research: A review of the literature from 2009–2019.”
Books, Articles and Other Amazing Resources
- Jay, L. (2022). The disciplinary and critical divide in social studies teacher education research: A review of the literature from 2009–2019. Theory & Research in Social Education, 1-36.
- Fallace, T. (2017). The intellectual history of the social studies. In M. M. Manfra & C. M. Bolick (Eds.), The Wiley handbook of social studies research (pp. 42–57). John Wiley & Sons.
- Thornton, S. J. (2005). Teaching social studies that matters: Curriculum for active learning. Teachers College Press.
- Santiago, M., & Dozono, T. (2022). History is critical: Addressing the false dichotomy between historical inquiry and criticality. Theory & Research in Social Education, 1-23.
- Episode 178: Feminist social studies teachers with Kaylene Stevens
Lightning Jay, Ph.D. is an assistant professor in the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Educational Leadership at Binghamton University.