Episode 105: Gaming, Media, and Education with Antero Garcia
In this wide ranging episode, Dan and Michael chat with Antero Garcia about gaming, media, education, and really mainly emails.
Books, Articles and Other Amazing Resources
- Check our Antero’s book: Good Reception: Teens, Teachers, and Mobile Media in a Los Angeles High School
- And here’s a free resource from Antero for teachers on humanizing uses of technology in schools and classrooms.
- Find Antero’s other amazing books here on evil Amazon
- Antero’s website: http://www.theamericancrawl.com/
- It’s Complicated by danah boyd’s
- Merlin Mann’s Inbox Zero: http://www.43folders.com/izero
- Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World by Jane McGonigal
- Here’s the kindness game we discussed: http://www.cruelgame.com/about/
- Celebrate Email Debt Forgiveness from the Reply All podcast
Antero Garcia, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor in the Graduate School of Education at Stanford University. His research focuses on developing literacies and civic identity through the use of gameplay and participatory media. Antero’s work appears in numerous journals including The Harvard Educational Review, English Journal, and Rethinking Schools. He is the author of the books Critical Foundations in Young Adult Literature: Challenging Genres (2013) and Teaching in the Connected Learning Classroom (2014).