In episode 67, Dan and Michael talk with Debbie Reese, a tribally enrolled Nambe Owingeh member, an educator and activist, and the founder of the popular American Indians in Children’s Literature (AICL) website and blog.
Books, articles, lessons, and other amazing resources
- Check out Dr. Reese’s website for a wealth of resources including her vast resources on Indigenous children’s literature: https://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/
- Learn more about the children who died at Carlisle Indian School, Army begins unearthing remains of children who died at Carlisle Indian school (2017, August 8).
- Some books Debbie recommended in the episode (in general order of grade level from younger to older):
- Source for learning more about Indigenous books, peoples, cultures, & sovereignty:
- A Broken Flute: The Native Experience in Books for Children by Doris Seale & Beverly Slapin (editors)
- Lessons From Turtle Island: Native Curriculum in Early Childhood Classrooms by Guy W. Jones & Sally Moomaw, Ed.D.
Page of resources that includes encyclopedias:
- Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz
Interview of Debbie with the English Journal (check it out English teachers!): http://www.ncte.org/library/NCTEFiles/Resources/Journals/EJ/1061_sep2016/EJ1061WeAre.pdf
A great article by Dr. Reese, “Indigenizing Children’s Literature“
Work Dr. Reese did last year for the First Nations Development Institute:
- Debbie’s blog posts:
Debbie Reese is tribally enrolled at Nambe Owingeh, a federally recognized tribe. She taught elementary school in Albuquerque, Riverside Indian School in Anadarko, Oklahoma, and returned home to Santa Fe Indian School in Santa Fe and Pojoaque Elementary School in Pojoaque, New Mexico. She completed her doctorate at the University of Illinois where she helped establish the Native American House, launched an American Indian Studies program, and helped push the university to discontinue mascot was discontinue their stereotypical Indian mascot. She launched the American Indians in Children’s Literature (AICL) website and blog in May of 2006. She can be found on Twitter @debreese.