In episode 29, Michael and Dan discuss the importance of multiple perspectives (including teacher voice) in education journalism with guest Ben Felder, a reporter for The Oklahoman.
Books, articles, lessons, and other amazing resources
- Ben works for The Oklahoman, a daily newspaper covering the greater Oklahoman City area!
- Here’s is Ben’s fantastic article we discuss in the episode: Letter grades highlight income gap in Oklahoma school performance by Ben Felder, May 17th, 2016
- Ben Felder’s page on The Oklahoman website – to check out his work!
- Episode 26: School Equity with Nate Bowling
- Here’s the study on how Oklahoma social studies teachers address accountability-reform cultures: Houser, N. O., Krutka, D. G., Roberts, R. D., Pennington, K., & Coerver, N. A. (in press). Navigating the reform-accountability culture in Oklahoma social studies. Theory and Research in Social Education.
- You can learn more about the Education Writer’s Association on their site: http://www.ewa.org/about-ewa
- You can even listen to sessions about Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) from the Education Writer’s Association sessions: http://www.ewa.org/agenda/abcs-essa-agenda ; Here’s more from the Department of Education on ESSA: http://www.ed.gov/essa?src=rn; And here’s a video from EdWeek that explains ESSA:
With a masters in new media journalism, Ben Felder (@BenFelder_okc) is an investigative reporter for the Oklahoman and often covers education! Check out some of his work on his page on The Oklahoman website!