In Episode 140, Dan and Michael chat with Sarah Stitzlein about her recent open access book titled, “Learning How to Hope: Reviving Democracy through Schools and Civil Society.”
Books, Articles and Other Amazing Resources
- Stitzlein, S. (2020). Learning How to Hope: Reviving Democracy through Schools and Civil Society. Oxford Scholarship Online.
- Dr. Stitzlein is co-Editor of the open access journal, Democracy & Education: https://democracyeducationjournal.org/home/
- She is also the current President of the John Dewey Society: http://www.johndeweysociety.org/
- Personal website: https://sarahstitzlein.wixsite.com/portfolio or you could go right to the Books page there, which lists my key book publications.
- Speech about the book given at Boston College https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS0Ta94YBGI&feature=youtu.be
Sarah Stitzlein is Professor of Education and Affiliate Professor of Philosophy at the University of Cincinnati. She is also President of the John Dewey Society, Co-Editor of the journal, Democracy & Education, and Co-Director of the Center for Hope & Justice Education. She is a philosopher of education and concerned with the relationship between democracy and education, including how we develop good citizens. She uses the theoretical tools of political philosophy, and especially American pragmatism, to shed light on current struggles in our schools and communities and to offer solutions to them.
We would like to thank Zack Seitz of Wylie High School (TX) and the University of North Texas for his editing skills.