In Episode 80, Michael and Dan chat with Kate Shuster about the new standards for Teaching American Slavery from Teaching Tolerance.
Books, articles, lessons, and other amazing resources
- Check out Teaching Tolerance’s Teaching Hard History Standards – their framework for Teaching American Slavery.
- Teaching Hard History: Teaching American Slavery Through Inquiry
- Anderson, Melinda. “What Kids are Really Learning About Slavery.” The Atlantic. February 1, 2018.
- Slate (not The Atlantic) had a series on slavery that Michael discussed in the introduction. Here is a link to their resource page for their second episode of their Slate Plus Podcast on American Slavery which features links about Olaudah Equiano!
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass
- Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs
In the Shadow of Liberty: The Hidden History of Slavery, Four Presidents, and Five Black Lives by Kenneth C. Davis
- Dan recommends Starting Small – a 58 minute video from Teaching Tolerance for teachers about bringing in lessons of fairness and tolerance to elementary students.
- Understanding and Teaching American Slavery.
Teaching Tolerance’s mission is to help teachers and schools educate children and youth to be active participants in a diverse democracy. They are the education wing of the Southern Poverty Law Center dedicated to eliminating intolerance by focusing on social justice and anti-bias. They provide free resources to educators!
Kate Shuster, Ph.D., is the president of Shuster Consulting. She has more than twenty years of experience in education, research, freelance writing, editing and project management. She holds a doctorate in Educational Studies from Claremont Graduate University with an emphasis on education policy and quantitative methods. Shuster won the National Debate Tournament in 1996 with her partner David Heidt; at the time; she was the third woman ever to win that event. A New Mexico native, she lives in Montgomery, Alabama. Check out her website at KateShuster.com. And follow her on Twitter!
One thought on “Episode 80: New Standards for Teaching American Slavery with Kate Shuster”