In episode 64, Dan and Michael chat about elementary social studies with Michigan State professor Anne-Lise Halvorsen.
Books, articles, lessons, and other amazing resources
- You can find more info about Anne-Lise’s work on her website at annelise.wiki.educ.msu.edu/home.
History of Elementary Social Studies
- Halvorsen, A. (2013). A history of elementary social studies: Romance and reality. New York: Peter Lang. https://www.peterlang.com/view/product/28177
- Halvorsen, A. (May-June, 2009). Back to the future: The expanding communities curriculum in geography education. The Social Studies, 100, 115-120. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3200/TSSS.100.3.115-120?journalCode=vtss20
- Halvorsen, A., Duke, N. K., Brugar, K. A., Block, M. K., Strachan, S. L., Berka, M. B., & Brown, J. M. (2012). Narrowing the achievement gap in second-grade socialstudies and content area literacy: The promise of a project-based approach. Theory and Research in Social Education, 40, 198-229. http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/91282680/narrowing-achievement-gap-second-grade-social-studies-content-area-literacy-promise-project-based-approach
- Duke, N. K., Halvorsen, A., & Strachan, S.L. (2016). Project-based learning not just for STEM anymore. Phi Delta Kappan, 98(1), 14-19. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0031721716666047
- Duke, N.K., & Halvorsen, A. (2017, June 20). New study shows the impact of PBL on student achievement [Web log post]. Retrieved from https://www.edutopia.org/article/new-study-shows-impact-pbl-student-achievement-nell-duke-anne-lise-halvorsen
- Halvorsen, A., & Duke, N.K. (2017, June 20). Projects that have been put to the test [Web log post]. https://www.edutopia.org/article/projects-have-been-put-test-anne-lise-halvorsen-nell-duke
Adolescents’ Use of Evidence
- Crocco, M., Halvorsen, A., Jacobsen, R., & Segall, A. (2017). Teaching with evidence. Phi Delta Kappan 98(7), 67-71. https://www.pdkmembers.org/members_online/publications/archive/pdf/PDK_98_7/67pdk_98_7.pdf
Anne-Lise Halvorsen is an associate professor of teacher education, specializing in social studies education, at Michigan State University. Halvorsen’s work focuses on elementary social studies education, the history of education, the integration of social studies and literacy, teacher preparation in the social studies, and students’ historical thinking. She is author of A History of Elementary Social Studies: Romance and Reality (Peter Lang, 2013), and co-author, with Jere Brophy and Janet Alleman, of the third edition of the social studies methods textbook, Powerful Social Studies for Elementary Students (Cengage, 2012). She is a former kindergarten teacher and former curriculum writer for the state of Michigan. You can find more on her website and e-mail her firstname.lastname@example.org.