In episode 19, Michael and Dan talk with a panel of K – 12 educators about the importance of the first five days of school.
The panel includes:
- Author and educator Quinn Rollins
- 7th grade science teacher Laura Vago
- 7th grade English teacher Jennifer Maio
- 2nd grade teacher Jessica Rosenthal
Books, articles, lessons, and other amazing resources
- The Massachusetts Teachers Association’s New Member Committee has a blog for teachers in their first five year of education. Check it out!
- Vago, Laura, “Don’t smile before Christmas: Is it true?” Web blog post. The First 900 Days: MTA New Member Committee. 24 Oct. 2014.
- Milton, Michael K. “Teaching Historical Interpretation: Interpreting Student Life Events.” Web blog post. Michael K. Milton’s Musings on History and Education (mostly). 30 June 2014.
- Wong, Harry K, and Rosemary T. Wong. The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher. , 1998. Print.
- Dan made a reference to this early on in the podcast. But he thinks there should be many books on the topic.
- Quinn Rollins was featured in a standalone Visions of Education! Episode 6: Superheroes in the Classroom. Listen to it!
Jennifer Maio, a seventh grade English teacher, can be reached on Twitter – @JMaio88
Quinn Rollins, author of Play Like a Pirate: Engage Students with Toys, Games, and Comics, can be reached on Twitter – @JediKermit
Jessica Rosenthal, a second grade teacher, can be reached on Twitter – @JessMorningstar
Laura Vago, a seventh grade science teacher, can be reached on Twitter – @LRVago